CLS Services is a leading professional recruitment agency, specialised in the recruitment and career coaching of people with a background in chemistry & life sciences. For our client, Unilever Research & Development, we are searching for a Microscopy Specialist.
- Microstructural food analysis
- Confocal Scanning Laser Microscopy
- advanced image analysis
- BSc./MSc. (no PhD.)
You will be responsible for deployment of Confocal Scanning Laser Microscopy and Light Microscopy (CLSM/LM) and micro X-ray Computed Tomography (micro-CT) in combination with advanced image analysis in the Imaging team. You are also responsible for coordinating deployment of these in collaboration with flanking techniques in the Imaging and Spectroscopy teams. You will report to the Imaging Science Leader.
The role focuses primarily on S&T F&R projects, but Global and Cluster Design will be supported as well. Support will be primarily locally, but for sites where no CLSM/LM or micro-CT is available also global support will be provided. You are also responsible for signaling external scientific and technical developments in CLSM/LM and micro-CT as well as evolving needs of the internal Unilever R&D program and making recommendations for capability building and Capex investments.
- Translation of S&T project questions regarding food-structure function relationships into food analyses in a multi-disciplinary approach;
- Executing and coordinating own CLSM/LM and micro-CT work with flanking food microstructural assessment activities (VibSpec/Imaging, SEM) of other Imaging and Spectroscopy team members;
- Fully operational in performing CLSM/LM, micro-CT for food microstructural analyses;
- Fully operational in advanced image analysis for own techniques, but also flanking techniques in Imaging team;
- Fully operational in coaching/training colleagues in Imaging team and Open Access users to deliver quality results;
- Written internal reporting (ELN, S&T reports) and oral presentations to Unilever project teams;
- Translating Foods program needs into proposals for (internal) capability building and Capex investments (either internal or within the Wageningen eco-system).
- Fully operational in CLSM/LM and micro-CT applications to food systems;
- Development of bespoke methods for microstructural food analysis;
- Coordination of project work that involves flanking measurement expertises (SEM, VibSpec/Imaging) within Imaging and Spectroscopy teams;
- Reporting and presentations skills (internal Unilever teams);
- Communication skills (Unilever teams).
Who we're looking for
Relevant Experience and Qualifications:
- min 2/3 years’ experience in CSLM/LM and micro-CT analysis of food products;
- Experience in programming (e.g., Python, Matlab) and advanced image analysis;
- BSc or MSc degree in relevant subject (Food Science/Technology, Biological Sciences, Analytical);
- Experience in defining microstructure-function relationships in foods by microscopic techniques.
Required Competencies and Soft Skills:
- Ability to recognize developments in Unilever program that necessitate introduction of externally available technologies/expertise in the CLSM/LM, micro-CT and image analysis field (i.e. capability building proposals, Capex);
- Interactive engagement in project teams for defining technical CLSM/LM and micro-CT approaches;
- Ability to train and coach non-experts as Open Access users of CLSM/LM equipment;
- Ability to deliver in a fast-paced, agile working environment;
- Analytical skills;
- Pro-active mindset;
- External orientation;
- Must be fluent in English (oral/written).
The mission of Unilever is to add vitality to life. They meet everyday needs for nutrition, hygiene, and personal care with brands that help people feel good, look good and get more out of life.
With 400 brands spanning 14 categories of home, personal care and foods products, no other company touches so many people’s lives in so many different ways.
Their brand portfolio has made them leaders in every field in which they work. It ranges from much-loved world favourites including Lipton, Knorr, Dove and Omo, to trusted local brands such as Blue Band and Suave.
They are constantly enhancing their brands to deliver more intense, rewarding product experiences. They invest €1 billion every year in cutting edge research and development, and have five laboratories around the world that explore new thinking and techniques to help develop their products.
Today Unilever employs 223 000 people in 100 countries worldwide, and supports the jobs of many thousands of distributors, contractors and suppliers.
HIVE is Unilever’s global Foods Innovation Centre and home to the product innovations of some of the world's favorite food brands like Knorr and Hellmann's. They offer a dynamic environment in which around 500 employees work on the foods of tomorrow. They have R&D expertise in nutrition, product formulation, packaging, food processing, and data. Hive is situated in Wageningen, on the Wageningen University and Research Campus, also called ‘The Silicon Valley of Foods’. They want to ensure maximum output by cross-pollination; not only among colleagues but also with the ecosystem around them.
Science and Technology Foods and Refreshment (S&T F&R) is one of the major groups in Hive, and delivers new proprietary technologies, science solutions and digital tools for the foods business. Within S&T F&R, the group Product and Process Science Foods includes the Imaging team, which deploys advanced microscopic techniques for structural assessment of food materials and products, in close collaboration with the Spectroscopy team. The Imaging team members deploy their skills in multi-disciplinary R&D teams, both locally as well as globally, providing expertise and guidance on all aspects of microscopic assessment of food composition and structure. The team also works closely with external partners to explore, develop, and implement new technologies for compositional and structural assessment of food materials and products.
Additional vacancy information
Contract: Temporary contract with CLS Services
Terms: Salary: ±45000
Days of leave: 25+13
Duration: 1 year – with probability to extend
See here our other employment terms for this vacancy
Contactperson: Jan Paul Favier
Phone: +31 (0)88 22 77 555