CLS Services is a leading professional recruitment agency, specialised in the recruitment and career coaching of people with a background in chemistry & life sciences. For our client, Janssen Vaccines & Prevention, we are searching for an Associate Scientist.
Janssen Vaccines & Prevention is dedicated to bringing meaningful innovation to global health. They focus on the discovery, development, manufacturing and marketing of vaccines and antibodies to protect people world-wide from infectious diseases.
The Bacterial Vaccines department is working on the discovery and early development of novel vaccines for bacterial infectious diseases. It strives to address unmet medical needs, such as bacteremia (sepsis), meningitis, and respiratory tract and nosocomial infections. Projects at the Bacterial Vaccines department are primarily structured on scientific and technical collaboration with external biotechnology partners (governmental and industrial) that are innovative leaders in their field. This working process includes ‘state of the art’ vaccine discovery, with subsequent in vivo evaluation of these vaccine candidates in animal models for immunogenicity and/or efficacy. In addition, manufacturing processes are optimised and established, and the resulting clinical trial material is evaluated in human clinical studies.
The Bacterial Vaccine department is seeking a talented Associate Scientist (M.Sc. or B.Sc. with equivalent experience) to join the Biochemical assays and in vitro Antigenicity Screening group. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic and highly motivated team driving the characterisation/ and evaluation of large molecule entities that are being developed in different vaccine programmes. During your work, you will interact with various Bacterial Vaccines teams, and with Janssen Vaccine support departments. You will be expected to perform laboratory work in person and help contract research organisations (CROs) plan and execute their assignments.
The Bacterial Vaccines department is strengthening its biochemical assay capabilities, which are centered mainly on carbohydrate, protein and glycoprotein antigens. This position has therefore a strong focus on biochemical and immunological expertise. Apart from Bacterial Vaccines own resources, access to complementary analytical facilities is also possible within Janssen.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Analysis of antigen-antibody interactions;
- Develop new biochemical methods such as dot blots, capillary western blot, ELISA or biosensor based binding assays (evaluate LoD, LoQ, accuracy, etc.);
- With help from product development specialists, design and implement biochemical assays for in-process control (IPC), product characterisation, and product release.
Who we're looking for
The ideal candidate will has an M.Sc. or B.Sc. with equivalent experience in Biological Science with at least 2-4 years of relevant experience in academia or biotech industry. The position requires significant knowledge of biochemistry and/or antigen-antibody interactions. you are expected to have knowledge of biochemical literature with emphasis on biochemical assay development, optimisation and troubleshooting. Familiarity with automated or semi-automated instrumentation, while not required, would be advantageous, as would familiarity with the multidisciplinary activities involving antigen-antibody interactions. This role is intended to be a hands-on lab-based job with plenty opportunity to learn and develop new skill sets.
- Experience with Biochemical analysis of carbohydrates, proteins and glycoconjugates;
- Knowledge of protein purification methods is desirable;
- Knowledge of biochemical literature, with emphasis on biochemical assay development, optimisation and troubleshooting;
- Very good knowledge on bacterial cell surface molecules;
- Hands on expertise on biochemical analysis of large biomolecules with focus on antigen-antibody interactions;
- Experience and knowledge on chemical modification of microbial surface components;
- Significant knowledge on purification and enrichment of large biochemical entities;
- Must have: Hands on experience on colorimetric assays, ELISA, Cell based assays, labelling of biomolecules;
- Nice to have: SPR/ Biolayer interferometry/Mesoscale thermophoresis/ITC based screening of biochemical interactions etc..
Additional vacancy information
Contract: Temporary contract with CLS Services
Terms: Full time preferred, 32 hours negotiable. Must be available at short notice. This is a limited time cover (6 months) with no guarantees for extension.
Contactperson: Claudia Erwich-Faaij
Phone: +31 (0)88 22 77 555